Mother killed her 3 children during standoff with police

This week, four members of a family in Oklahoma have been pronounced dead after an armed standoff resulted in a triple murder-suicide. The incident occurred near Verdigris, a quickly expanding region of the Sooner State located on the famed U.S. Route 66 (now State Highway 66).

As the incident unfolded on Thursday evening, a police officer noted a pyrotechnic display of a Roman candle coming from or near the garage of a residence situated at the corner of East Dogwood Court and Cypress Street. It was then that the officer was informed of a hostage situation taking place inside the home.

With the help of backup, negotiations began with 39-year-old Brandy McCaslin, the perpetrator of the incident. After three hours of no response, officers made entry into the house, where they discovered McCaslin and her three children, who were identified as 10-month-old Billy, 6-year-old Bryce, and 11-year-old Noe, all dead.

Verdigris Police Chief Jack Shackelford noted that he and his officers had been to the McCaslin residence multiple times in the past due to reports of child welfare and domestic violence. Despite this, the police force had received no response after the three hours of attempted negotiations.

It was then that tactical teams began to clear the house room by room, and the grim truth was revealed. McCaslin, who had a background of substance abuse and mental health issues, had murdered her children before turning the gun on herself.

First Presbyterian Claremore Josh Kerr, who had known McCaslin since growing up in the church together, expressed his shock and sadness over the tragedy, while stressing the importance of having both empathy and compassion for the situation.

At the time of the incident, McCaslin was subject to a supervised visit with one of her children, who had been brought to the house by an unidentified woman who was taken hostage. This woman and her children managed to escape after police arrived.

A memorial has since been erected at the home, and a neighbor, Blake Forsman, described the children as “normal kids” who would ride their bikes and go inside their house after getting off the bus.