Tragic Sauce Dispute: Teen Girl Fatally Stabbed Outside McDonald’s

A fatal stabbing incident involving two 16-year-old girls occurred outside a McDonald’s in a bustling nightlife district of Washington, DC, over the weekend. The dispute, which reportedly began over sweet and sour sauce, resulted in the death of Naima Liggon from Waldorf, Maryland. The Metropolitan Police confirmed the incident, which took place around 2 a.m.

According to Detective Brendan Jasper’s testimony in court on Monday, the argument over the dipping sauce escalated into a physical altercation involving Liggon, the suspect, and a third girl. Security footage showed Liggon and the third girl attacking the suspect, who initially refrained from retaliating. However, the suspect later attacked Liggon and the third girl as they attempted to enter a vehicle.

The suspect allegedly used a 7.5-inch pocketknife to stab Liggon in the chest and abdomen. Despite being rushed to the hospital, Liggon’s life could not be saved. The incident occurred just a day before Liggon was set to return to Thomas Stone High School after the summer break.

The suspect, also from Waldorf, was arrested on Sunday. Her identity has been withheld due to her age. She has been charged with second-degree murder while armed and pleaded not involved, the juvenile equivalent of not guilty, during Monday’s hearing. She was ordered to be held without bail until her next court appearance.

DC Superior Court Judge Sherri Beatty-Arthur, while announcing the suspect’s continued detention, lamented the senseless loss of life over a trivial matter. The suspect was found with a knife when she was arrested, according to the Metropolitan Police. The prosecutor noted that the suspect was the only one who brought a weapon to what was initially a fistfight. The suspect’s defense attorney, however, argued that she acted in self-defense.

In response to the incident and ongoing concerns about juvenile violence, DC officials have implemented a curfew for minors aged 16 and under in several parts of the city, including the U Street area. The curfew starts at 11 p.m. on weekdays and midnight on weekends.

Liggon was the 13th minor to be killed in Washington this year, with many of these incidents involving other minors. A local resident, whose son was friends with Liggon, remembered her as a “beautiful person” with a “great personality” in an interview with a local news station.