Eastbound Interstate 70 at Interstate 435 near the Truman Sports Complex was shut down after a fatal accident on Friday morning pedestrian crash.
Emergency crews were summoned shortly after 3 a.m.
During an eastbound trip on I-70 near Kansas City, Missouri, a Kia Sorrento pulling over on the right shoulder was due to an illness in the back seat of the driver’s side.
A driver reportedly rolled down the passenger’s back window, but they opted to climb out for reasons unknown.
According to police, the person was struck by at least two vehicles while standing in the roadway.
The first vehicle fled the scene, but the second, a brown Buick Enclave, remained.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
After nearly three hours of closure due to an investigation, I-70 reopened.
The incident marks the 65th fatal traffic accident of the year. The number was 57 at this point in 2021.
For more coverage on this story, check the following additional news sources:
- Pedestrian getting sick along I-70 struck by multiple cars, killed KMBC Kansas City
- Victim identified after dump truck crash at Zona Rosa KCTV 5
- KCPD: Pedestrian hit, killed by dump truck at Zona Rosa identified as 24-year-old woman KMBC Kansas City
- Man dies after getting hit twice on I-70 in Kansas City WDAF FOX4 Kansas City
- I-70 at I-435 reopens after pedestrian struck, killed KSHB 41 Kansas City News