Missing Teen Found Dead After Grandmother’s Murder

The tragic discovery of a 15-year-old boy’s body in Tennessee has left the community in shock, days after his grandmother and legal guardian was reportedly murdered by her 41-year-old boyfriend. The teenager, Syquavius Hoyett, had been missing since the previous week before his body was found on Monday evening, according to local authorities.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) confirmed the sad news in a press release, expressing their condolences to those who knew and loved the young boy. However, they have yet to disclose the cause and circumstances surrounding Hoyett’s death.

Hoyett was reported missing on August 18, a day after his grandmother, Anneria Turman, was discovered with a fatal gunshot wound to the back of her head in a wooded area near her residence. Turman’s boyfriend, Herman Hollins-Brown, was arrested the following day and charged with first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse in relation to her death.

The Memphis Police Department reported that they responded to a distress call on August 17, where they found Turman’s body. The investigation led them to a house on Glenbrook Avenue, not far from where Turman’s body was discovered. Hollins-Brown was found at this location, in possession of Turman’s 2013 white Chrysler 200, and was subsequently arrested.

Authorities had been unable to locate Hoyett, prompting them to issue an Endangered Child Alert for the missing teenager on Saturday morning. Further details about Turman’s death were revealed in a probable cause affidavit obtained by a local ABC affiliate. The county medical examiner’s autopsy report confirmed that Turman died from a single gunshot wound to the back of the head.

Upon entering Hollins-Brown’s residence, police reportedly found what seemed to be blood smeared on the concrete floor. Hollins-Brown was not present at the time, but was later seen driving past the house in Turman’s car. A traffic stop led to his arrest, with officers noting what appeared to be blood on the vehicle’s trunk and back bumper.

As Hollins-Brown was being arrested, family members arrived at his residence. He was overheard telling them, “I’m going to be gone for a while.” A subsequent search of his home revealed blood spatter in several rooms, a bullet fragment, and Turman’s purse and cellphone next to what appeared to be blood.

Hollins-Brown is currently detained at the Shelby County Detention Center without bond and is due to appear in court on Friday. It remains unclear whether authorities suspect him of involvement in Hoyett’s death. Jail records show no additional charges against him, and police have not yet commented on the case.