Man’s Stomach Ache Leads to Shocking Discovery

A 35-year-old man, Kuldeep Singh, who had been suffering from a persistent stomach ache for two years, left doctors astounded when they discovered a plethora of household items in his stomach. The items ranged from buttons to earphones, and even included lockets, chains, nuts, bolts, safety pins, magnets, and zippers. The discovery was made at the Moga Medicity Hospital in Moga, Punjab, where Singh sought medical attention due to his chronic stomach issues and a high fever.

The medical team, led by Ajmer Singh Kalra, the director of the hospital, performed an X-ray on Singh, revealing the shocking assortment of objects. The doctors estimated that Singh had consumed approximately 60 non-edible items. The severity of the situation was further highlighted by the fact that some of the objects were sharp, causing severe wounds in Singh’s stomach.

Singh was diagnosed with pica, a mental health disorder characterized by the compulsive consumption of non-food items. This condition is most prevalent among young children, pregnant women, and individuals with psychiatric disorders such as autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disabilities, or schizophrenia. In Singh’s case, his family was reportedly unaware of his unusual eating habits.

Despite the severity of his condition, Singh underwent a successful three-hour surgery, led by surgeon Anup Handa and gastroenterologist Dr. Vishavnoor Kalra. The operation involved the removal of the various objects from his stomach. However, Singh’s health remains critical, and he is currently on a ventilator.

Cases of pica can often lead to serious health complications, as demonstrated by Singh’s situation. Consuming indigestible objects can cause severe internal damage, especially when the objects are sharp. Despite the successful surgery, Singh’s recovery is still uncertain due to the severity of his internal injuries.

This is not the first peculiar case of pica. In July, a woman in London reportedly spent over $3,800 to satisfy her craving for clay, a habit that began during her pregnancy in 2013. These cases highlight the need for increased awareness and understanding of pica, a condition that can lead to serious health risks if left untreated.