Grandmother Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Infant Granddaughter in the Face

In a shocking incident in Ohio, a 43-year-old grandmother was apprehended over the weekend for allegedly shooting her six-month-old granddaughter in the face. The authorities believe the act was intentional. Mia D. Harris was arrested early Saturday morning and is facing three counts of felonious assault while her granddaughter battles for her life in the hospital, according to records.

The charges against Harris could change as the investigation progresses, authorities have noted. The incident occurred in the early hours of Saturday, December 9, when the Butler County Sheriff’s Office received an emergency call about an infant being shot at a residence in Liberty Township, approximately 25 miles north of Cincinnati.

Upon reaching the scene, first responders found the six-month-old baby girl critically injured with a gunshot wound to the head. The infant, whose identity has not been revealed, was immediately rushed to UC West Chester Hospital for treatment. Harris was identified as the primary suspect by several witnesses and was apprehended shortly after the incident, despite her attempt to flee the scene.

The incident report suggests that Harris didn’t just target her infant granddaughter. She allegedly fired at several family members before intentionally shooting the child, who remains in critical condition. The criminal complaint filed in Butler County Area 2 Court also alleges that Harris caused “serious physical harm” to another unnamed victim by striking them in the face.

The complaint further states that Harris broke down a locked bedroom door after firing multiple shots through it. She then allegedly shot her granddaughter in the face. Butler County Sheriff Richard Jones expressed his disgust at the incident, stating that it was a deliberate act and one of the most vile criminal acts he has ever seen.

During her arraignment on Monday, it was reported that the baby’s condition was grave. Harris is currently being held on a $1.5 million bond, according to jail records.