Federal authorities sealed off streets and launched an investigation after reports of dozens of shots fired near government buildings in Washington.
WASHINGTON — A major security response unfolded near the White House on Friday after reports of dozens of gunshots prompted temporary lockdown procedures around federal buildings and drew a heavy law enforcement presence to downtown Washington.
Authorities moved quickly to restrict access to streets surrounding the White House complex as Secret Service officers, Metropolitan Police Department personnel and other federal agents responded to reports of gunfire. Officials said investigators were still working to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting and whether multiple suspects were involved. Early reports indicated that no immediate threat remained active by late Friday, though authorities continued searching nearby areas and reviewing surveillance footage collected from government buildings and traffic cameras.
Witnesses described hearing a rapid series of loud gunshots shortly before emergency vehicles flooded the area. Some workers inside nearby office buildings said they were instructed to shelter in place while officers secured intersections and conducted searches. Video circulating online showed police vehicles blocking roads and officers carrying tactical equipment near security checkpoints surrounding federal property. Authorities did not immediately release the exact number of shots fired, but witnesses reported hearing repeated bursts over several seconds. Federal employees and tourists in the area were temporarily prevented from moving through portions of downtown while investigators assessed the scene. Secret Service officials later confirmed that protective measures had been implemented around the White House complex as a precaution.
Law enforcement agencies said investigators were collecting shell casings and examining potential evidence from multiple nearby locations. Officials also reviewed security footage from cameras positioned around federal buildings and major intersections close to the White House. Authorities did not immediately confirm whether anyone had been injured, though emergency medical teams were dispatched to the area during the response. Investigators also had not publicly identified any suspect or announced arrests by Friday evening. Officials cautioned that information released during the early stages of the investigation could change as detectives processed evidence and interviewed witnesses. Several roads remained closed hours after the initial reports while crime scene technicians continued documenting the area.
The White House complex is among the most heavily secured locations in the country, with overlapping protection from the Secret Service, U.S. Park Police and local law enforcement agencies. Even isolated security incidents in the surrounding area can trigger immediate lockdown procedures and rapid deployment of tactical teams. Past incidents near the White House have included perimeter breaches, suspicious packages and shootings involving individuals approaching security zones. Federal security protocols typically require temporary movement restrictions whenever gunfire is reported close to government facilities or areas frequented by senior officials. Friday’s response disrupted traffic and pedestrian movement throughout parts of central Washington during the afternoon and evening hours.
Officials said investigators were working to establish a detailed timeline using witness interviews, forensic evidence and digital surveillance records. Law enforcement agencies also coordinated with federal security officials to determine whether the shooting specifically targeted any location or individual. Authorities had not publicly confirmed where the shots originated or whether the incident began near the White House perimeter itself. Police said additional information would likely be released after investigators completed preliminary evidence collection and verified witness accounts. Federal agencies were expected to continue reviewing security procedures while the investigation remained active.
People gathered behind police barriers throughout the evening as helicopters circled overhead and officers maintained a visible presence near blocked intersections. Tourists who had been visiting monuments and federal buildings earlier in the day described confusion as officers rushed pedestrians away from restricted zones. Some nearby restaurants and businesses temporarily closed while emergency vehicles remained stationed throughout the area. Witnesses recorded videos of flashing lights and heavily armed officers moving through streets usually crowded with visitors and commuters. Officials repeatedly urged the public to avoid active police areas while investigators completed their work.
Authorities said the investigation remained ongoing Friday night as officers continued securing evidence and reviewing surveillance footage. Officials expected additional updates once detectives confirmed key details surrounding the reported gunfire.
Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.