11-Year-Old Boy Loses Life Protecting Pregnant Mother

A tragic incident unfolded in Chicago on Wednesday when an 11-year-old boy lost his life while attempting to shield his pregnant mother from her ex-boyfriend, who had been released from prison just a day prior. The ex-boyfriend, 37-year-old Crosetti Brand, is now facing charges for the brutal murder of the young boy, Jayden Perkins, and the attempted murder of Perkins’ mother, according to the Chicago Police Department.

Brand had been granted parole on Tuesday from the Stateville Correctional Center, where he had been serving a 16-year sentence for home invasion and aggravated assault. The following day, he forced his way into his ex-girlfriend’s home in Edgewater, Illinois, and launched a violent attack on the family, as reported by Chicago Police Superintendent Larry Snelling.

The mother, a 33-year-old woman, was preparing to take her children to school around 8 a.m. when Brand initiated the attack. Perkins bravely stepped in to protect his mother, who was being assaulted in the doorway of their home. The mother’s younger son, a 5-year-old, was also present during the horrifying incident.

Upon arrival, police officers found both the mother and son severely injured, having been stabbed multiple times. They were immediately rushed to the hospital. Perkins, unfortunately, was pronounced dead upon arrival. His mother, although in critical condition, is expected to survive along with her unborn child.

Brand was later seen on video fleeing the scene and discarding a bloody knife, which was later recovered by the police. The mother had a lifetime order of protection against Brand, who she had dated over 15 years ago, according to Antoinette Ursitti, Chicago Police Chief of Detectives.

Brand now faces charges including attempted murder, home invasion with a dangerous weapon, domestic battery, robbery with a dangerous weapon, felon possession of a weapon, and violation of an Order of Protection. It was also revealed that Brand had been paroled previously in October of last year, but was re-arrested in February after he threatened the female victim via text and showed up at her home.

The decision to release Brand from prison has raised questions, with Superintendent Snelling stating that he didn’t have a good answer as to why Brand was released. Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx highlighted the need for an evaluation of the justice system to prevent such dangerous offenders from committing similar acts in the future.

Following the tragic incident, a vigil was held for Perkins, who was remembered as a straight-A student, an honor roll member, and an active participant in cross-country, football, and the arts. He was also known for his passion for performing and theater, having played the lead role in several school plays.