Teen Gunmen Kill Three Men Outside Religious Center

Police said the suspects died nearby after an attack being investigated as a hate crime.

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — Two teenage gunmen opened fire Monday outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, killing three men before dying from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds nearby, police said.

Authorities said the attack at San Diego County’s largest mosque is being investigated as a possible hate crime. The shooting brought a large police response to the Clairemont neighborhood, where children at the mosque’s school were evacuated unharmed and families waited for word at a reunification site.

Police said the shooting began around 11:40 a.m. near the mosque on Eckstrom Avenue, about 9 miles north of downtown San Diego. Officers arrived within minutes and found victims outside the Islamic center, which includes prayer space and the Al Rashid School. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said investigators believe the two suspects, ages 17 and 18, attacked the mosque together. “This was every community’s worst nightmare,” Wahl said during a briefing. Authorities said one of the victims was Amin Abdullah, a longtime security guard credited with helping prevent more deaths.

The three victims were adult men, police said. Their full names had not all been released Monday night as officials worked to notify relatives. Investigators said the suspects were found dead several blocks from the mosque after the attack. Police said both appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Officers had been searching for one suspect before the shooting after his mother reported that he was missing, suicidal and believed to be armed. Officials said several guns were missing from the home, and investigators were reviewing a note found by the mother.

The attack happened near midday prayers at a campus long used by Muslim families across the region. The Islamic Center of San Diego is one of the area’s main Muslim institutions and hosts worship services, school programs and community events. Children were on the campus when gunfire broke out, but police said none were hurt. Helicopter footage showed officers moving through the area with rifles while children and worshippers were escorted away. Nearby streets were closed as SWAT teams searched buildings, checked parked vehicles and secured the grounds.

Wahl said investigators were treating the case as a hate-crime investigation while still working to determine a clear motive. Federal agents were assisting local police because the attack targeted a house of worship. Officials said they were reviewing surveillance video, witness accounts, recovered weapons and the suspects’ digital records. No additional suspects had been announced Monday night. Mayor Todd Gloria said emergency crews moved quickly to protect the community and secure the area. Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office said state officials were monitoring the investigation and supporting local authorities.

Outside the mosque, families gathered behind police tape as officers blocked intersections with patrol cars and armored vehicles. Some witnesses described confusion as shots rang out and people ran for cover. Others said staff members and officers moved quickly to get children away from danger. Faith leaders from San Diego and beyond condemned the attack and called the killings an assault on a place of worship. Police said more details about the suspects, victims and weapons would be released after relatives were notified and evidence was processed.

The investigation remained active Monday night. Police said the next major update would come after detectives completed scene work at the mosque and the nearby area where the suspects were found dead.

Author note: Last updated May 18, 2026.