NFL player collapses, game postponed

The Bills’ safety Damar Hamlin was given CPR after collapsing on the field following a tackle while playing against the Bengals on “Monday Night Football.” 

Both teams went to their locker rooms after the game was temporarily suspended. 

Following a delay, the game was officially suspended for the evening. It will be resumed at a later date and time to be determined. According to the NFL, Hamlin is in critical condition.

“Hamlin received immediate attention on the field by team and independent medical staff and local paramedics,” according to a statement from the NFL. “He was then transported to a local hospital where he is in critical condition.”

During the first quarter, the second-year player from the University of Pittsburgh made a tackle and got to his feet before falling back to the ground. 

Hamlin’s condition rapidly deteriorated as an ambulance was rushed on to the scene and paramedics began treating him. 

According to ESPN’s broadcast, Hamlin was given CPR by medical officials. While surrounded by emotional players from both teams, he was placed on a stretcher and given an IV. As he was being transported from the field, he was also provided with oxygen in an ambulance. Hamlin was transported to University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

According to Hamlin’s agent, Hamlin’s vitals returned to normal at the hospital.

“His vitals are back to normal and they have put him to sleep to put a breathing tube down his throat,” Hamlin’s agent, Jordan Rooney, tweeted later Monday night. “They are currently running tests.”

Both teams huddled on the field before going back to their locker rooms after praying for Hamlin.

Originally, the Bengals and Bills were set to be given five minutes to warm up and resume play, but the game was temporarily suspended to give both teams a chance to regroup. Before the game was called, the Bengals led 7-3.

“Our thoughts are with Damar and the Buffalo Bills,” the league said in a statement. “We will provide more information as it becomes available. The NFL has been in constant communication with the NFL Players Association which is in agreement with postponing the game.”