Man’s Pest Control Attempt Ends Results in Blowing up Apartment

In a bizarre incident, a man in Japan inadvertently caused an explosion in his apartment while attempting to exterminate a cockroach. The incident occurred in the city of Kumamoto, located on the island of Kyushu, approximately 230 miles southwest of Hiroshima.

The 54-year-old man noticed a lone cockroach in his apartment late Saturday night. In an effort to eliminate the pest, he sprayed a substantial amount of insecticide. Shortly after, an explosion occurred, causing significant damage to his apartment, including blowing out a balcony window.

The man sustained minor injuries from the blast, according to local authorities. An investigation into the incident revealed burn marks near the man’s kotatsu, a traditional Japanese heating table, suggesting the insecticide may have ignited due to proximity to a heat source.

The National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan has reported multiple incidents of explosions linked to the use of insecticides near electrical outlets. This incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers of using such products inappropriately.

This is not the first instance of a pest control attempt leading to disastrous consequences. In December 2017, a woman in Cincinnati, Ohio, accidentally set her house on fire while trying to exterminate bedbugs using rubbing alcohol near an open flame. A few weeks prior to that, a 13-year-old boy in the same city was left homeless after a similar attempt to eradicate bedbugs.

The recent incident in Japan underscores the importance of using pest control products safely and responsibly. It also highlights the need for increased public awareness about the potential risks associated with the misuse of such products.