Man Dies From Vitamin D Overdose

The medical community is raising concerns following the death of an 89-year-old man, David Mitchener, who succumbed to a Vitamin D overdose in suburban London, England. Mitchener had been consuming high doses of the vitamin supplement for nine months before his demise. Health professionals are now using this incident to highlight the potential dangers of consuming excessive amounts of this commonly used supplement, which they believe are not sufficiently communicated to the public.

In his official report, coroner Jonathan Stevens noted that the packaging of the supplement did not include any warnings about the specific risks or side effects associated with its consumption. He expressed concern that without appropriate action, similar fatalities could occur in the future. Mitchener’s body reportedly had the highest possible recorded levels of vitamin D.

The recommended daily intake of Vitamin D for most adults is 600 international units (IU). However, consuming 60,000 or more IU’s per day over several months can lead to an overdose, as per the Mayo Clinic. Mitchener was initially admitted to the hospital with hypercalcemia, a condition characterized by high levels of calcium in the body, typically induced by excessive vitamin D.

The coroner’s report listed multiple causes of death, including congestive heart failure, chronic kidney failure, hypercalcemia, and Ischaemic Heart Disease, a condition where blood flow to the heart is insufficient. However, the high levels of vitamin D found in Mitchener’s body prompted the coroner to emphasize that vitamin supplements can pose serious risks and side effects when consumed in excess.

Stevens also criticized the current food labeling requirements, which do not mandate the inclusion of these risks and side effects on the packaging. He further highlighted the lack of appropriate warnings and guidance about dosage. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been urging the pharmaceutical industry to make potentially harmful supplements less appealing and candy-like to prevent overconsumption.