Infant Dies While Dad is Engrossed in Video Games

A Michigan man, 21-year-old Alex Marsh, has submitted a no contest plea to charges of second-degree murder related to the death of his infant daughter. Marsh, who hails from Midland, Michigan, is set to serve a minimum of 13 and a half years in prison for the crime that transpired over a year ago.

Marsh entered his plea last week in front of Judge Michael Beale of the Midland County Circuit Court. The initial charges of first-degree murder and child abuse that were brought against him were later dropped. Marsh’s sentencing is slated for 1:30 p.m. on November 16.

Midland County Prosecutor J. Dee Brooks described the case as “extremely sad and unfortunate.” The charges stem from an incident where Marsh allegedly caused his baby daughter Scarlett’s death by suffocation. According to reports, Marsh placed a four-pound blanket on the infant while he was engrossed in playing video games on the night of May 17, 2022, which continued into the next morning. Marsh was arrested on May 20, 2022, after an initial investigation.

Brooks clarified that the prosecution does not believe Marsh intentionally caused his daughter’s death. However, he pointed out that Marsh showed a lack of maturity and the ability to provide proper childcare.

Marsh underwent a Cobbs hearing on August 14, 2023, at the request of his lawyer. This type of hearing allows the judge to review the facts of the case from both sides and potentially inform the defendant of their likely sentence if they plead guilty to the charges. In Marsh’s case, Judge Beale determined a minimum sentence of 13 and a half years.

The plea agreement was discussed with the infant’s mother and family, who ultimately agreed to the resolution. On the night of the incident, Marsh had taken his then-wife, Isabelle, to her night shift at work. Isabelle testified that when Marsh came to pick her up the next morning, the baby was not in the car Upon arriving home, she found her child lifeless in the crib.

Investigators noted several inconsistencies in Marsh’s account of the events, including claims that he had checked on the baby at a certain time, which he later admitted was untrue.