Father of Two Killed at Top Golf Event

A tragic incident unfolded in Nashville over the weekend when a father of two was fatally assaulted while trying to mediate a fight at a concert. Dahal Umesh, a member of Nashville’s Nepali community, was attending a music event at Top Golf, a popular national golf range franchise, when a violent altercation broke out.

The concert, organized by the Nashville Nepalese Association, was held at The Cowan, a live-performance venue located on the lower level of Top Golf. The venue, which can accommodate up to 635 people, was hosting the Nepali Rock Band “Mantra”. The fight that broke out during the concert eventually spilled over into the parking lot, where 41-year-old Umesh intervened in an attempt to restore peace.

According to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department (MNPD), Umesh was punched during his peacemaking efforts, causing him to fall and hit his head on the concrete. As he lay on the ground, he was kicked in the head. He succumbed to severe head injuries on Tuesday morning.

The homicide detectives, who took over the case on Monday due to the severity of Umesh’s injuries, identified and arrested the suspect believed to have delivered the fatal kick. Bishal Rai, 26, was apprehended at his home in Antioch, located approximately 14 miles southeast of Top Golf.

Rai was initially charged with aggravated assault, but following Umesh’s death, his charges will be upgraded to criminal homicide. A judicial commissioner has ordered that Rai be held without bond pending a hearing, as stated by the MNPD. Rai, who was charged last year with felony aggravated assault-strangulation, a case that was later dismissed, is currently being held at the Nashville Downtown Detention Center and is not eligible for release.

While Rai’s arrest marks a significant development in the case, the investigation is far from over. Detectives are still seeking other concert attendees who may have played a role in Umesh’s fatal assault. The MNPD has stated that the investigation into the potential involvement of other individuals in the assault on Umesh is ongoing.