8-Year-Old Boy Killed Protecting Mother

A tragic incident unfolded in Minnesota last week when an 8-year-old boy was fatally shot while attempting to protect his mother from his allegedly abusive father, according to the boy’s family. The young boy, Amir Demarion Harden, succumbed to his injuries on June 9, three days after being shot in the head and neck, as confirmed by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office.

The incident occurred on the same day that the boy’s, Danair Harden, was released from jail after posting bail on charges domestic violence. The elder Harden is said to have returned to the family’s apartment in Burnsville, a city located about 15 miles south of Minneapolis, in a fit of rage. The violent confrontation that ensued resulted in both father and son being rushed to the Hennepin County Medical Center with gunshot wounds.

Cherish Edwards, the grieving mother of Amir, shared her harrowing experience on a GoFundMe page set up to cover moving expenses. She wrote, “His father tried to shoot & kill me, but my son was shot instead. Amir tried wrestling the gun out of his father’s hand. I screamed for him to leave and go to the neighbors. He refused & said ‘mommy, I’m not leaving you here.’” The tragic event concluded with the father shooting himself in the head after shooting his son, according to Edwards.

Edwards also revealed that the shocking incident was witnessed by Amir’s four siblings. She expressed her concern for their mental well-being, stating, “My kids are traumatized & probably will need therapy for the rest of their lives.”

Danair Harden remains in critical condition in the hospital, as reported by the Star Tribune. On the day of the incident, he was facing allegations in Dakota County District Court for choking Edwards on May 30 when she expressed her desire to end their decade-long relationship. Edwards also claimed that Harden tried to prevent her from calling for help fled the scene when the police were called.

During his bail hearing, prosecutors requested a no-contact order against Edwards and her apartment, the surrender of Harden’s firearms, and a bail set at $10,000. However, First Judicial District Court Judge Dannia Edwards set the bail at $4,000. Harden was released the same day, and approximately seven hours later, the tragic shooting of Amir occurred.

The investigation into the incident is still ongoing. Carissa Larsen, a spokesperson for the city of Burnsville, told the Star Tribune, “We don’t know that the child was an intended target, and that’s part of what is still under investigation.”