70-Year-Old Man Charged in 16-Year-Old Grandson’s Death

A family in Clinton, Missouri is dealing with a devastating event that resulted in the death of a teenager and the arrest of his grandfather. The 70-year-old man is alleged to have fatally shot his 16-year-old grandson, a shocking incident that has deeply affected the family and the local community.

The incident took place on a Sunday, when Thomas Ribby is said to have shot his grandson, Royce Hayes Osburn. Court documents indicate that Ribby stated he did not know his firearm was loaded when he pointed it at the teenager. The family is finding it difficult to comprehend why Ribby would point a gun at his own grandson, regardless of whether he thought it was loaded or not.

Ribby is currently detained with a cash-only bond set at $100,000. The incident has deeply impacted three generations of the family. The grandfather has been arrested, the grandson has lost his life, and the teenager’s mother, Melissa Ribby, is caught in the emotional aftermath.

Melissa Ribby has expressed her grief and anger towards her father, stating that she no longer views him as such. She also spoke about her son’s dreams of becoming a police officer, a dream that was tragically cut short.

Court documents reveal that Ribby had given his grandson the Glock to “play with” earlier in the evening. Another witness reported seeing the teenager pretending to clear rooms with the firearm. The fatal shot was fired later, with Osburn reportedly going to his mother and saying, “papa shot me,” before collapsing.

When the police arrived, Ribby locked himself in his apartment, leading to an evacuation of the neighbors. He was eventually arrested, and during questioning, Ribby maintained that he had not been arguing with his grandson prior to the incident.

The family is now dealing with the compounded trauma of the incident. A GoFundMe has been set up to help cover funeral expenses for the teenager. Ribby, who faces felony counts of endangering the welfare of a child resulting in death and resisting arrest, pleaded not guilty to the charges earlier this week. He is scheduled for a bail reduction hearing on Friday and is currently being held at the Henry County Detention Center.